Jenna is our “Veggie Monster.” Every day, her desk becomes a tower of tupperware containers as she nibbles her way through several rabbit meals. She eats more greens in a day than most of us see in a week and plans her menu as thoroughly as she plans our schedule.
Jenna is our Project Manager. She works with our clients to set the expectations for each project, sort through the nitty-gritty details and ensure that we meet our deadlines. …She keeps us busy! But Jenna also fills another role on our team. As Content Strategist, she helps review, write and edit the content for many of our projects.
Jenna’s background makes her uniquely suited to fill her dual-role on our team. She earned degrees in Communication and English at Santa Clara University and went on to study Graphic Design. Her passion to create (and more so to write) dates as far back as early childhood. She was given her first laptop as a youngster and toted it everywhere, starting an anthology of short stories and poems that has spanned a lifetime.
The early years of Jenna’s career were spent as a designer at a web development agency and later, at a technology start-up. But in both cases, she transitioned her role to focus on project strategy and management. Now, her design background is an important tool in discussing projects with our clients.
Outside of work, Jenna enjoys daily kickboxing and yoga workouts, hosting parties and traveling as much as she can. But she is best known for two things: an incredibly eclectic taste in music and extreme Vegetarianism. Fun facts: She has attended 17 concerts in the last 8 months and was forced into a “green” diet by a rare allergy to protein. She spends a lot of time in the kitchen, experimenting with recipes that help redefine what food means to someone with her condition.
Daryl is meticulous. While his nickname “Designated Daryl” certainly stems from his reputation as a safe ride home from any party, it’s equally applicable to his scrupulousness. Daryl is our point-man for anything technical. Numbers, spreadsheets, diagrams and specs are his forte.
Daryl fixes the unbroken. He loves to build and takes things apart just to put them back together again. Even as a child, he was a little MacGyver. He built his own toys from scrap materials and quickly learned improvisation is half the battle. “It’s how I got creative,” he says.
At work, he approaches projects the same way: If something isn’t working, how do we fix it? And if it is, how do we make it better? His brain is an index of calculations, solutions and for fun, useless facts. But the best side effect of his maniacal need for order? A very organized Dropbox.
Daryl earned a BS in Graphic Design, but even before he began his formal education, he had an extensive knowledge of design software. He was self-taught, but beyond proficient, as his second career demanded the skills.
That’s right, his second career. Daryl is a workaholic—by day, a graphic designer, and around the clock, a professional photographer and cinematographer. He spends most weekends shooting weddings and events and rarely emerges from behind the screen or lens.
Though he doesn’t sleep much, Daryl still manages to find time for cycling, archery and occasionally joining us for happy hour (food). But don’t worry! He’ll keep chugging along. Though Daryl has never had a drop of alcohol, he’s already consumed a lifetime supply of Red Bull!
Amos walks through the door a bundle of energy. A “people person” through and through, he brightens the office and has a natural knack for sales. He charms prospective clients with a friendly smile and good faith, and though he may technically be a salesman, he never seems like he’s selling anything. It’s a talent.
Amos’ has nearly twenty years of experience in sales and business development. He’s worked for companies like Advanced Discovery, Atlas ESI Management and Apple, and has filled a range of positions. Some were more technical (he studied mechanical engineering in college) and others purely focused on client relations. But in all cases, his natural ability to communicate and interact has paved his path.
Amos is also an entrepreneur. He started two local businesses that fused his interest in people with his passion for fitness. The first was a private training gym called BodyWorks. Amos has a degree in Sports Medicine and loves to help people get fit and healthy. Later, he opened a shop called “State Bicycle Campbell” where he built and sold beautiful fixed-gear bikes.
To top it off, Amos also has an eye for design. Not only was he heavily involved in the branding of his own businesses, but he’s now an important source of feedback for our team. Seasoned salesman, serial entrepreneur, fitness guru and artistically inclined—a bit of a phenomenon, really.
Amos’ hobbies are extremely active. Beyond working out and training others, he likes cycling, golf, tennis, snowboarding, volleyball, jumping out of planes …anything that keeps him moving. He has, however, been banned from “extreme” sports. By whom? Katie.
With Amos an active part of the team, Design in Mind is officially a family business. Katie and Amos are happily married, committed to the success of the company and busy raising our little mascot. Just over a year old, their son Zane has given Amos his greatest coaching gig yet.
Project Manager (Full Time)
Seeking a Mid-level Project Manager ChampionDesign in Mind is seeking a full-time Project Manager to join our growing team. This person will be our second PM and must be a champion of timelines, scopes, and resource management. The role is client-facing, and strong communication skills are key. You’ll be juggling as many as 10-15 projects at a time, and working closely with our creative team. We need a do-er, a planner, and someone who’s excited to work hard, but have fun doing it.
- Manage projects from end-to-end, developing detailed work plans, timelines, estimates and status reports
- Assemble project team and allocate tasks and resources strategically to ensure timely completion
- Provide a single-point of contact for clients, and be responsive to the questions of our internal team
- Be aware of project objectives, as well as the role and function of each team member to ensure that they are met
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, often with tight and concurrent deadlines
- Ability to work and problem-solve independently, while communicating important details to the client and internal team
- Provide timely and accurate status reports to Director
- Maintain a solid understanding of all project activity within the office to manage resources effectively
- Adjust priorities and remain flexible, demonstrating patience and diplomacy as deadline and project scopes change
- Produce detailed project schedules and tasks, using Wrike, Google Docs and other project tools
- Review all projects before delivering to the client to ensure all requirements are met and design is in line with objectives
- Contribute ideas at team brainstorms, reviews and meetings
- Coordinate with outside vendors as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of professional experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Fluent in Microsoft Office, Google Docs
- Must be able to seamlessly work on a Mac
- Basic knowledge of Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
- Excellence in client interface and customer service
- Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Design skills and/or experience working in a creative environment, a major plus
- Enthusiasm for design, copywriting and the overall creative process
- Professional, team player with an easy-going spirit and sense of humor